Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Truth Behind Stay Home Moms

The craziest thing happened the other day when I was ready an article on Facebook about the life of a stay at home parent. Reading the article my face smiled with joy. Granted I started school in November and as soon as I graduate plan to work. But then I started reading comments, someone I don't know commented that in general it is usually the mother that stays at home. He is correct but his comment didn't stop there. He said, "Must be nice to keep their fat lazy asses at home all day. That's why they are considered fat lazy bums because they fat, don't do shit, and live off their man." My face began to get red as I could feel the warmth building up, chest began racing, and in general fired me up. I wrote a long post on my personal Facebook, I had a lot to of stay at home moms back me up. I then hid the post because I was already having a bad day and then my sister had to be an ass and make a smartass comment that in the long run done nothing but caused me and her to go at it in a heated argument. Therefore, I'm going to break down the life as a stay at home mom verses a working mom (Since I'm using myself in general, I'm using school instead of work. Which when I go back, we will feel like work considering I'm on the floor.) 

I know I have made single mom post before, in which I need to clean up and/or delete.

Here goes:

The life I lived as a Stay-At-Mom:

During the school year my day starts at 6:30 am, my fat lazy bum butt gets up smokes a cigarette. (yes, I'm a smoker) Sometimes I am extremely exhausted and I to cheat and hit snooze a few times. The latest I get up is 7:20, you know the laziness in me sat the kids clothes out the night before and we live a block away from school.  On them good days I get up at 6:30 am, which is pretty much every week day. I start arguing and fighting with kids not wanting  to get out of bed to get ready for school. That is an everyday thing. Which is hilarious because come Saturday they are up at the crack of dawn. Sometimes as early as 5 on the weekends. Usually I get them dropped off, I come home drink my Mountain Dew while either listening to Cmt, sometimes catch myself watching the Cartoon my son and/or daughter was watching before we headed to school. I then get started on laundry, I usually do a lot of laundry a week but considering the sickness between kids and I we got really behind. Ken makes a joke out of it because he has one pair of underwear he doesn't want to let go that are holey. He says babe I'm down to the hole in my drawers meaning it's time to do laundry. Not only that but it's still winter but coming up on Spring. Therefore as I start going thru clothes that don't fit. I do tend to give myself more work by having to wash them before putting them in the "to small for you" plastic tote. 

I clean up messes from the night before, in the living room and kitchen. 

I may sit down to smoke, eat, and sometimes watch a tv show. Sitting down as a stay at home mom doesn't make you lazy.  Pretty much during the day it's pretty laid back and easy while kids are at school. If the weather isn't fridget outside. I will clean out my car if need be, walk around the yard and pick it up, clean up the porch, warm or not I take out trash if Ken forgot to. Even though he works full time that is the one thing I ask him to do along with pulling the trash cans to the curb on the day they need to be. If it's warmer I do a lot of times. But the cold messes with me. Im very intolerant to it due to thyroid issues. 

Now onto the fun part of my day is when the kids are home from school. The constant getting up to make my son a peanut butter toast Sandwhiches, get my daughter a snack, usually by this time I'm  figuring out supper if I haven't already laid out food. The constant fighting/bickering back and forth. (During the summer it's the constant mom can I go outside, mom stop what your doing take us swimming, mom I'm bored, and mom I'm hungry. The MOM word NEVER ends. On top of siblings rivalry.) 

Oh here comes supper/bath time these two are usually together. In the sense that  more chances than non my son eats a bowl of chicken noodle soup. He's my picky child but doesn't take him long to eat and in the tub he goes. For some reason even though my daughter knows this she always starts stating as soon as I mention bath time/ shower time Bub is going first. Finally once he's in the tub she hushed up. Yes, she is older and has a later time of having to do things. Shower time though is different. She has a different show every night she loves watching from 8-9. I  make her shower before 8 or she argues with me about not taking one. I hope the showering and not wanting to brush her hair is just a phase. It's like hell some days to get her to do either.  


Finally bed time!!!!! Who doesn't enjoy sleeping or bed time? KIDS 

They despise bedtime, why I don't know because there momma sure does enjoy it.  Both my children bed times are different my son is at 7:30-8 my daughter is 9. My son is easy because since he has to take melatonin especially in the winter when he doesn't get out to get any from the sun. By 8, he is usually laying im bed begging five more minutes please. But shortly falls asleep. My daughter takes melatonin as well for different reasons. But she argues with me to take her medicine. She argues that it takes time for it to kick in. By time all the arguing is over its 10 pm. I have to actually sit in the room with her for her to fall asleep. Anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour, I have even fell asleep in there.  The bedtime routine is a struggle in itself. Mainly because both kids are wore out tired fighting to watch the last bit of their show. Brayden so tired he doesn't want to brush his teeth but finally does it. Ry on the other hand refuses to do it until she gets so tired of hearing tell her to she finally does. 

Point being there MOMMY is tired. 

By time I get to bed if I make it to bed. I am exhausted.  I have to wind down.  I have really been trying to blog at night or start on blogs. I check facebook and Pinterest. Finally it's midnight and I crash. Most nights I get woke up by a kid or my bladder. Other reasons is Ken's pushing a kid  on me because I was so exhausted I was out, nothing woke me up or wakes me up during the heavy sleep cycle. Such as my son army crawling through the covers from the bottom. Ry sneaks beside me and I never feel her and I wake up to my arm wrapped around her and the glory of morning breath. 

Stay at home parents most likely mothers. It's not all glitz and glamorous sitting on our asses all day. Granted we do if we have kids full time in school get a chance to nap (I never due because I am such a heavy sleeper. Scared I won't get up in time to go get kids.) yes with full time kids in school if we are sick we can rest. I will say if I'm  on my death bed sickly, that's the only time I take a nap. But in case my alarm doesn't wake me up. I make arrangements for my kids to be picked up by someone. I didn't sit on my ass all day. I may be a heavier woman but my weight has nothing to do with me being lazy. Before categorizing someone know them. Because for a fact I know and those that know me well know my "fatness" is because since I was 12 I have suffered with hypothyroidism/ it's completely inactive. 

Now onto verses working moms. 

Im not going to go into a detail scenario here.  Because although my working right now is full time cosmetology school. The only thing that changes here is during the 8 hours my kids are at school, im at school, their daddy is at work, and I come home an hour after they get to the sitters.  

 Stay at home mom verses full time working mom. There's something in there that never changes. The title of who I am doesn't change, mommy.  Working/schooling or not I still have to cook, clean, laundry, feed, bathe, more laundry, and get kids to bed. While juggling at this time in my life studying, homework, preparing three people for the next morning. My days start at 5:30 sometimes five. 

I have to continue as a mother for my kids and provide and take care of them no matter what I do. I still have to go grocery shopping (usually Ken and the kids go), I still run errands and pay bills. 


Point to take from this blog post is that no matter if I stay home or work. Staying home doesn't make me a fat lazy bum. No woman (manly woman this man referred to) should ever be downgraded for what they do in life. 

If you believe the old ways, woman stayed home and took care of it and kids while men work. Granted in this day in time it takes two incomes. In mine and my fiancĂ© as I sometimes call him because it isn't official yet but it was easier for us because when I did work . I got minim wage driving 30-40 away from home for 15 hours a week. My job hurt us.  I was not only using my check for gas and paying my sister for getting my son off the bus because he was in half day preschool. But I ended up needing more money from Ken's check for gas. 


Therefor know a situation, never downgrade. 





No comments:

Post a Comment