Tuesday, November 22, 2016

He Got In Trouble For Exactly What?

The following  is a Facebook post that I made on September 8th, 2016...

 "After running errands today, I got home to realize Braydens folder was left on the table.  On his calender where we have to initial every night there was a very vague script in the previous days box stating, "missed recess for working ahead". Most of the time I'd have no problem with my child missing recess for something he's done wrong. I am all for you get in trouble, you do your punishment. But what I don't understand is Brayden still got in trouble and missed his recess for working ahead. Meaning they were doing a group worksheet. I may be wrong and forgive me if I am but I thought our children are being taught to be independent and work things out on their own. Anyone knows Brayden knows he's has to be moving or doing something. He is my busy body. Even with his AdHD medicine, he gets bored easily. Even some of their second grade work bores him. I feel he worked ahead because one he already knew the answers on top of it gave him something to do. I mean hell hes damned if he doesn't do it and damned if does!"
Yes, you read that right my child was punished for doing his work ahead. If you are a parent that cares about what goes on at school with your child you would have been heated as well with such a vague script of writing.  I would have understood more if the teacher wrote me a small note stating that she was teaching and kept telling him to pay attention but nothing of that was explained.
Well, Bray's weekly therapist is also his IEP therapist at school. When I got to her house a few days later to drop Brayden off for his weekly session she knew before I had even talked to someone at school about it. She said it was already handled.  Well about a week later the principle caught me there while picking up the kids for 8th hour, that she spoke with his teacher. What happened was they were in group. The leader of the group decided to tell everyone to work ahead. Brayden was following the leaders rules therefor, he worked ahead. The principle explained to the teacher not to punish him for working ahead because last we struggled to even get him to do any of his work.  Therefor, he isn't to be punished if he works ahead as long as he got it right. Basically if he worked ahead and he got them wrong then its the teachers discretion if he gets to do it over.

Before anyone says it, NO Brayden doesn't get special treatment because he has ADHD and a form of Autism. We are just scared that if he starts getting in trouble for doing his work even if it is ahead of the class. That he won't do his work at all. Because in first grade before getting his diagnosis we struggled at school and at home to get him to do anything.


Leave a comment below if you feel that any child should be punished for working ahead.


Love Always,

And Please come back,
Diedra

No comments:

Post a Comment